My Experience Buried Alive Seven Feet Down

In 2011, After months of planning, my friend dug a hole seven feet deep. The plan was for me to be buried alive in the hole. I wasn’t sure how he would dig me out, and I wondered why the hole was so deep. I was starting to wonder if I was going to be buried, or just trapped in the hole and covered with a plywood board or something. But, knowing my friend and his creativity, I suspected the unexpected.

Another friend of mine came with me to observe, photograph and videotape the scene. 

We arrived at 8:15 A.M. and were ushered into the back yard. I put on a pair of board shorts and climbed down into the hole. When I reached my arms up, I could barely reach ground level. 

I put on a gas mask with intake and out take hoses that were attached to an apparatus with a bladder so that he would be able to check my breathing. 

Dirt was shoveled down into the hole as I stood there. It took a long time for the dirt to fill up around my body. When the dirt was up to my waist, he got a long board and packed the dirt down with it. I could feel the pressure as the dirt was compacted around my legs and waist. At this point I realized that there was already no way out. I was trapped. He continued to fill in the hole and I began to disappear into the earth. 

He filled the dirt right up to my neck so that only my head was sticking out. I thought that he would stop there, but he just kept filling in the dirt. In fact, he began filling it in faster. He took a shovel full of dirt and threw it into my face, then on top of my head. It filled in around my head and I was unable to move my head anymore. When the dirt filled up to the lenses of the gas mask, I knew that in only seconds I would be covered totally. I watched as the dirt piled up and covered the lenses. 

It got dim where I could see just a little bit of light, and then with a couple shovels full more; I was plunged into absolute blackness. I could not move at all. I was able to hear the dirt as more was dumped on top of me. I could also feel it as the weight continued to increase. I thought that he would stop filling in the hole once I was buried over the top of my head, yet for several minutes I could still hear shovel full after shovel full of dirt being tossed on top of me. I started to wonder how deep I really was. It felt like my head must have been four feet or more below the earth now. I started to breathe harder with a feeling of panic knowing that it was quite possible that I could die in this hole. I felt quite a bit of pressure on my chest, but not so much that I was unable to breathe. But the air that I was getting was coming through a long tube, so the air seemed somewhat stale.

I heard him stop filling the hole and then I felt it as he jumped up and down on top of me. The soil compacted tight around my head, and I felt some compression as it pushed my head down toward my neck. Next, I heard something that sounded like it was being drug across the dirt above me. I didn’t know what it was. I found out later that he was raking the dirt smooth above me to hide any evidence that anyone was buried alive in his back yard. I felt as though I was permanently sealed in concrete. 

I stayed down there for a long time. I had a panic attack and felt like I was suffocating for a little while, but then worked out the panic in my mind and started to meditate. Eventually I was so calm that I began to dose off a little bit. I had a fear of falling asleep while buried because I was afraid that I would never wake up. After about an hour, the compression pushing my head down to my neck was getting unbearable and I was feeling faint. There was intense pressure around my forehead as well which was giving me a headache. I begged for him to dig out my head part way. Fortunately he had arranged it so that he could hear me through my air hole. He dug out the top of my head and I was able to move it up a little to relieve the pressure. He re-filled the hole over my head but didn’t pack it down. I remained in darkness and was still unable to move.

Over time I started to feel stress on my lower back and on the bottom of my feet from being in the standing position. I struggled as much as I could to free myself, but could move nothing at all. Sweat was dripping down my face and into my eyes as I fought for my freedom. I was hopelessly encased in the dirt. I knew that I was totally helpless and at the mercy of my captor. He had total control over my life. He could have very easily cut off my air and left me buried in his backyard. I imagined him installing sod over the top of me, or even pouring a concrete patio on top. I knew that there was a real possibility that something could go wrong and I would die. It was scarier than hell. Just before the two hour mark I started to feel some panic again. I was feeling faint and was having trouble trying to control my breathing. I couldn’t tell if I was breathing too much and hyperventilating or not enough and getting asphyxiated.

I began to moan and he started to dig out my head. When the light hit my face I had to keep my eyes tightly closed, and even then the light was intense. After a while my eyes adjusted to the light. 

I spent another hour buried up to my neck waiting to get dug out.

He had a parallel hole dug beside the one I was in and once that was dug, he was able to get to me and dig me out. As he was digging my out I began to get emotional and cried just a little bit as I realized that I had done something that many people will only fantasize about. I felt euphoric and happy. I couldn’t help thanking my friend repeatedly for making this experience real for me. 

I came out of the hole around 1:30 in the afternoon. I was covered with sweaty mud. 

It took two days to recover from the burial. My muscles were sore; I had a little bit of congestion from the dust, was dehydrated, and was exhausted from the struggle. Wow what an intense ride that was! The most awesome ride of my life! Wow!

​The video is the first video that was shown on